Tuesday, January 18, 2011

"A Site to See"

Since I'm taking a class on Typography, I decided I should start using the correct terminology (so I actually sound like I know something cause the appearing like thing is working out that well) for type.  I had heard that "font" was not the correct word to use when describing a particular style of type.  The correct term would be typeface (I'm sure the assigned reading for class will address this point too) and that font refers to the lettering size. Of course as with many things in society today word corruption/misuse is still going strong and font is considered a synonym for typeface.  

Now on to what matters...

I have always been fascinated with typeface and its use, especially in logo designs.  I was really amazed to learn that many of the typefaces I had seen were excessible on the web (of course for a fee).
As I surfed the web I came across, hands down, one of the best type centered sites out there, Letterhead Fonts http://www.letterheadfonts.com/ . The typefaces available on their site are incredible.  The varied uses for the fonts in different projects is outstanding.  The quality of work done in developing the typefaces and there later use is something that I aspire to do.

One typeface that caught my eye on the site was LHF Sofia. It is a script style typefaces and it is beautifully done.  It has a modern day flair and elegance that seems to be lacking from a lot of script style typefaces. Here is the glyph for LHF Sofia and a sample of it in use:

No comments:

Post a Comment